[pct-l] Going alone

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Apr 16 15:48:46 CDT 2013

I hiked the entire trail alone. I hiked during the height of the herd
for my first half and a month ahead of the herd on the second half.
So on that second journey I had many segments were I saw not a single
human being for days. It was very relaxing.

Hitchhiking was a lot of fun. I never had any trouble.

I hiked braless much of the time. The shoulder and sternum straps
seem to keep the jiggling down. Otherwise I had a tank top with a
shelf bra or a thin bra that provides no support but protects against
chafing. I do not like the tube-boob effect of sports bras.

I hiked a total of about 6 days specifically with other people. While
they were nice people and I enjoyed myself, I preferred to be alone.
I saw more and remembered more.

While hiking within the herd, there were always people around me. I
met new people every day. I never made camp alone for the first 700
miles or so.

I carried my "wallet" always on my body because I didn't want to ever
have to search for it or forget it or lose it. Not for safety or
security.

I got truly lost twice. At least I knew what direction I was supposed
to go and it all worked out.

I did a few sections outside of the proper order so that I would
minimize scary creek crossings. Basically, I chickened out of some of
the John Muir section and had to come back another year to finish it.
I also took an alternate route through the Yosemite section so I
could see the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne. I'm not a purist.