[pct-l] New Snow Intermediate Course added

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Apr 16 18:10:44 CDT 2013

Not everybody can take 12 days off to learn how to be safe and have a fun time while snow-hiking. But quite a few want to know how.

(This is how long our Snow Advanced “First-In” course out of Kennedy Meadows takes, though going over Forester and negotiating the high country under snow is priceless for aspiring 3-season backpackers or PCT thru hikers).

Mountain Education has been asked to offer an Intermediate-level snow skills training course for this spring that would not be as long and challenging. So,

Now we have!

Dates:  May 25th to June 1st (one week)

Where:  On the PCT between Highway 50 (South Lake Tahoe, CA) and Highway 80 (Truckee, CA)

Cost: Suggested Donation

Purpose:  To teach summer hikers how to recognize and negotiate backcountry hazards in order to extend their hiking season to include springtime hiking in the high country.

If you are wishing that you could start your hiking season earlier than July, but are concerned about issues surrounding snow, high creek crossings, and personal safety, this short one-week on-trail course will more than equip you to raise your confidence level and lower your fears when not on dry-trail!

If you are interested in further info, please email us back! We are updating our website (probably won’t be complete until next Winter) and going through a business change to Non-Profit status (still), so the info is not yet present on our school site. However, some info of interest can be found under our “Courses” page and Snow Intermediate-Tahoe, in specific at http://www.mountaineducation.org/mountain-education-pages/courses/

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org