[pct-l] Desert Shirt & Skuzzy Rat

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Tue Apr 16 23:34:27 CDT 2013

Mags,....you "Scuzzy Rat".
You look almost as scuzzy as I do when I'm on the trail.
I am far better looking than you are and the only reason you look
snappier on the trail
than I do, is because you wear fancy, snappy $5.00 dress shirts.
I gave up buying expensive $5.00 hiking shirts many years ago.
Now days my hiking wardrobe consists of the finest garments available at
stores like
Goodwill, St. Vincent De Paul, Amvets, Salvation Army and at .50 cents
per shirt I
don't have to worry about them getting dirty, rolling around in the dirt.
Besides,....DIRT IS GOOD FOR YOU!!!

It has been my observation that scrappy, ratty looking hikers, like you,
are more likely
to finish the trail than the snappy, fashion minded hikers.
They look real nice and fashionable at the start but after a few weeks,
after the fancy
garments are dirty and in tatters, they look almost as scuzzy and ratty
as we do.

Like you said, there is nothing wrong with looking  "SCUZZY & RATTY"  on
the trail.

Now Switchback, he is a different breed of a cat and you will never get
him to agree
with our way of thinking that looking ratty on the trail is OK.
He likes to look real snappy and fashionable on the trail and does not
mind spending
$75-100 on a shirt to achieve that goal.
You should see him when he comes strutting down the trail in his fashion
designer
wardrobe, fuzzy pink camp slippers, hand free umbrella and solar powered
fan,
all perfumed up and smelling like a rose.

Yes Sir,.....Switchback is a snappy looking dude on the trail.

JMT Reinhold
Your scrappy, ratty, trail companion

Mags wrote:
"A hiking shirt need not be fancy.
Even a polyester/cotton men's dress  shirt will work.
That's what Mags seems to like anyway." ....and here's my "review"
http://www.pmags.com/gear-review-thrift-store-dress-shirt