[pct-l] Back to chemicals, heavy metals

be hope bh.csuchico at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 00:02:30 CDT 2013

Please excuse my delay in responding to Dennis' reply.  Been mostly
off-line, experiencing a delightful time in Thailand, hanging out with Thai
coworkers and friends from Peace Corps days.

*“**Toxic metals: Coal waste is contaminated by 10 metals classified as
toxic by the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry : Antimony,
Arsenic, Beryllium, Cadmium, Chromium, Cobalt, Lead, Manganese, Mercury,
Nickel and Selenium. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
(ATSDR ) [1]”*
Source: http://www.nrdc.org/energy/coalwaste/methodology.asp\

Despite the phasing out of some old coal fired plants and the
implementation of stricter emissions controls (including mercury emission
reductions in some places) in the US, the number one mercury polluter in
the US comes coal fired plants. And we know what happens when heavy metals
move up the food chain.  A couple of years ago I read a report on residuals
from East Asia coal fire emissions, including several heavy metals, finding
their way into Sierra lakes. (I misplaced that link ~~ rats!)  While
determining mercury sources in lakes is somewhat complicated, there seems
to be some kind of consensus in the scientific community that some-to-most
of that mercury comes from coal fired plants.  Check out the
reports/studies on mercury pollution in the Great Lakes.  Wish I knew the
long term health effects of chemicals ( deet / sun screen / Gold Bond /
eucalyptus-lemon / permethrin) and heavy metals showing up in those
lakes:   I don't.  Maybe in 50 years PCTers will pack water filters
that extract chemicals and heavy metals.

For more:  http://www.epa.gov/ttn/oarpg/t3/fact_sheets/hg17th.pdf

Cheers,

be hope