[pct-l] Best stove?

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Thu Apr 18 07:12:06 CDT 2013

Myla,
	You will get many different answers from none to fully capable winter stoves.
	Alcohol stoves are illegal on parts of the PCT (as are wood stoves.) Note that *some* alcohol stoves are legal because: if upended, they will not spill fuel, and, they are capable of being turned off.
	Depending on how often you resupply, this will change what you want to carry. For instance, if you resupply every 4-5 days, alcohol or canister gas is the lightest even though alcohol has less efficient heat content and canisters do not have efficient packing weight: fuel + can. The stove itself is light. Fuel availability is good.
	For longer stretches(10days three weeks) between resupplies WG has the best fuel heat content and the stove itself is heavy but yields the best starting weight for carrying. Fuel availability is excellent.
	Kero is about the same for heat content as WG. Kero also makes a fair candle. Fuel availability is fair.
	Wood stoves are usually OK, but can be banned in some areas. These have as many or more restrictions on use than alcohol and run sooty. Except in a true desert, fuel availability is excellent (often, they can run on straw and grass bundles of twigs/chips are not available.)
	No stove is an option, but, personally, I need my coffee & oatmeal hot, nor do I care for peanut butter, cold suppers and cold bandana-bath cleanups.
	Note that WG, Alcohol and Kero have a specific density of about .8 or so...they float. This means that a 12floz coke bottle of fuel and an extra cap weigh around 10oz-10.5oz. Canisters already go by weight, not fluid weight.
	Stoves are one of those things you will likely carry for pure comfort. They are never really needed. Warmth is a necessity, but, some areas forbid fires. Stoves under a tarp can be mighty nice in the morn, damn the CO risks, as you pack up in the morning. Drinking hot mocha on a folded pad as you fill out your journal with a stove between your legs warming a second cup for oatmeal, can be downright pleasant on a 30F morning. But, as I say, they are never *really* needed; a 100% comfort item.
	My thoughts only . . .
		jdm