[pct-l] Looking for ~100 mile section that is transportation accessible

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 19:13:58 CDT 2013

The problem with hiking this section is that unless you already have a JMT permit, I believe you aren't likely to be able to get one at this date. I could be wrong, but be sure to check this out before you settle on this part of the trail to hike. A PCTA permit requires a 500 mile commitment. Additionally, if you're coming in from sea level, you're at risk for some altitude problems since you won't have time to acclimatize.

An alternative would be to hike either North from Tuolumne Meadows or South from Sonora Pass.  This is a beautiful section.  It will require a hitch to/from Sonora Pass from Bridgeport, which can be daunting for newbies, but look at it this way. If you do it to start you'll be clean and fresh and MUCH more likely to have an easier time of hitching which is actually pretty fun as far as interacting with the folks who stop. Please be sure to offer gas money, say ten bucks for that particular hitch, to all who offer you a ride.

Have a great hike.

Sent from my iPad