[pct-l] Looking for ~100 mile section that is transportation accessible

Paul Hoffman paulhoffman18 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 20:11:09 CDT 2013

There are a number of trailheads on the east side of the sierra that will
allow you to gain access to the PCT/JMT - and avoid the issue that all  JMT
trail permits may already be reserved.  In any case the whole JMT at 200
miles is 2X what you wanted to hike.  So you could choose an entry
trailhead and exit trailhead to get you the miles/days you desire.

I did a couple of hikes two summers ago (one started at North Lake over
Piute Pass, south on JMT/PCT and exit Bishop Pass - about 50 miles, the
other Onion Valley / Kearsarge Pass - south on JMT and exit Trail Pass /
Whitney Portal - about 45 miles).  Even though I procrastinated in getting
permits - I had no problem finding some dates that worked for the first
trip.  Finding dates that worked for the second trip was a bit more of an
issue as exiting at Whitney Portal is popular and they have a daily exit
quota on number of hikers exiting (if you start your hike on the eastern
side in Inyo NF) ...    There are enough entry / exit trails that you can
construct trips of various lengths until you get what you want.

The scenery is spectacular anywhere along the JMT - so whatever route you
choose will be memorable.

Transportation is a hassle - in addition to the comment below an option is
to fly into Reno, get to the Greyhound station and take the CREST bus that
travels up and down the eastern sierra to a town close to your start point.
 Likewise you could exit the trail at a town serviced by CREST. (e.g. I
recall they stop in Independence and Bishop...).   There are independent
shuttle services too - but they are pretty expensive.

You'll need to do some research.  You might want to start with Inyo
National Forest  http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/inyo/passes-permits  :    Also
you can search for wilderness permit availability by trail entry & exit at
www.recreation.gov  or you can call Inyo NF for permit reservation (760)
873-2483.   Another hassle is that you need to pick up your wilderness
permit in person (from one of several ranger stations).

Good luck with the planning - it is a hassle, but the trip will be worth it.