[pct-l] Looking for ~100 mile section that is transportation accessible

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Fri Apr 19 20:00:49 CDT 2013

Assuming you want to hike somewhere in the Sierra and given the distance you
have to travel and the limited number of hiking days available, I'd suggest
you maximize your trail time by skipping the hitch-hiking at the expense of
using a commercial shuttle service to take you from highway 395 up to
whichever trailhead you are starting from.

Mount Whitney Shuttle is based in Lone Pine and can pick you up in any town
along highway 395 and take you to virtually any trailhead you want. See
their website (http://www.mtwhitneyshuttle.com/)  for details.

Telephone: 760-876-1915    Best time to call: evenings (Pacific Stnd Time))

e-Mail: info at mountwhitneyshuttle.com

Three years ago, they charged me $80 (solo) to go from Lone Pine to
Horseshoe Meadow. The HSM trailhead is the closest to the PCT. A big
advantage to starting from Lone Pine is the presence of a USFS Permit office
on the south end of town. You can get your entry/exit permits there as well.