[pct-l] 2012 thru-hiker Oddball featured in May Backpacker magazine

terrifoster at earthlink.net terrifoster at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 20 01:10:24 CDT 2013

The May 2013 issue of Backpacker magazine has an article about Oddball, who hiked part of the PCT in 2010 and then thru-hiked in 2012. Oddball and his friend Copernicus are both veterans and were raising money for the Wounded Warriors Project while they hiked. I had the pleasure of meeting them both at Kennedy Meadows, when I met up with my son Buckket who also thru-hiked last year. So it was a nice surprise to leaf thru the magazine and find a picture of Oddball! It's an interesting article about how hiking helped Oddball "reconcile who he was before the war and who he is now", and how hiking could be therapy for other veterans.

The article also mentions Oddball's "weight-saving strategies" for his pack, which gave me a laugh -- when I met him, he was carrying 3 books, including a dictionary!

-- Buckket's mom