[pct-l] HIKEPLAN

hikeplan at aol.com hikeplan at aol.com
Sat Apr 20 17:28:05 CDT 2013

Greetings from HIKEPLAN:

I wrote the HIKPLAN program about 20 years ago and have written over 700
through- and segment-plans since then. While I have hiked several portions of
 the PCT, I am now too old to complete it. Instead, I produce
computer-generated  plans to help others in their planning efforts. It is my most
enjoyable  hobby.

The data for the HIKEPLAN come directly from the three PCT Guidebooks
(Souther California, Northern California and Oregon-Washington) as well as the
Halfmile map series and other credible sources and updates. I include
official  detours and trail openings.

The hiker is asked to supply certain personal parameters, such as entry and
 exit points, off-PCT alternate trails to and from resupply and/or scenic
locations, level and climbing rates and desired average daily miles and/or
hours. Files will be sent to the hiker to fill in and return with this info.

The program will then track the desired accumulated daily hours or miles
and, upon or nearing completion, select the next available recorded campsite
or  other requested overnight waypoint. . The plan will accumulate all miles
hiked,  on- and off-PCT. Any computed value selection may, of course, be
overwritten and  inserted into the plan.
The HIKEPLAN is, of course, no official document, but a useful tool to use
in one's initial planning. Changes may be easily made so that a comparison
of  routes my be considered.

The plan is offered on an Excel spreadsheet and only by e-mail. No  charge.

Contact me at _hikeplan at aol.com_ (mailto:hikeplan at aol.com)  and we will get
 started!

Best regards,

John M.  "Jack" Yates