[pct-l] I can't wear shoes (Sam)

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 04:12:19 CDT 2013

Hey Ron and Sam,

The array of footwear on the PCT is incredible.  Everything from full on
boots to Amoeba hiking it in Crocs (and she's thru hiked the AT twice in
them) and those barefoot prints in the mud of the trail we saw north of
Tuolumne Meadows.  The lighter the shoe, the more conscious you need to be
about bashing your feet at least that's what I've heard from folks in
really light weight shoes, but if you've been training in VFFs I'd give it
a go and see how they work.  I met people going over a lot of snow in
sandals in 2010.  I didn't, but others did.

 Another option that might provide a bit more protection but that feels a
lot like a VFF, are the Altra, Lone Peaks.  They are very similar to my
Vibram Five Fingers, but provide more sole with a flat sole.  Three people
I hiked with last year on the CDT used them straight out of the box and
completed the trail with them, only one of them had time to even give them
a bit of a break in.  She's hiking the AT in them this year as well.

Shroomer