[pct-l] Post walk across America. The PCT Next?

Devon Taig devon.taig at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 12:48:52 CDT 2013

When I was a young gay kid growing up, I didn't have a lot of role models
that made me feel OK about the man that I was becoming.  Frankly the notion
of dying young of AIDS or burning in hell is pretty scary to an 11 year
old.  I did find refuge on the trails of Oregon (the PCT among them) and on
backpacking trips with my family.  Hiking was my passion even back then.  I
have to tell you, had I heard on the news as an 11 year old kid that a gay
person was backpacking 2600 miles to raise awareness for equality, and
against anti-gay bullying in schools, well...that would have made a big
difference to me. I think there are a lot of kids like that out there now.

Nobody's hike is going to be negatively impacted by Richard's hike.
 Nobody. But I think there can be untold good that arises from his energy
and courage.

*Not *engaging in activism is to tacitly voice approval for the status quo.
 Silence *is* activism for that which exists rather than for that which is
desired.

Walk on.