[pct-l] JMT Reinhold...Setting the record straight

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun Apr 28 12:59:11 CDT 2013

This list used to be frequented by hiking legends like Scott Williamson,
Brian Robinson, Andy Skurka, Tattoo Joe and others.
Did anybody ever wonder why they no longer frequent this list?
Guess what,...they all got flamed and slammed at one time or another by
our whining self appointed critics and decided to just move on.
It is a shame that hiking legends like that no longer participate on
this list.
They just got tired of getting slammed  by spoiled brats who are used to
having everything their way, don't understand why extreme hardcore
backpackers would want to speed through pristine wilderness, get all
upset when they don't agree with other hiker's way of thinking and can't
differentiate between trail humor and straight talk and start flaming and
slamming those they disagree with.

I told myself I would not lower myself to their standards with name calling,
lies and character assassinations, like they did, when responding.
However, lies and character assassinations should not go unanswered and
the record should be set straight.

For instance,...JMT Reinhold never was asked to leave the KO or got into
a argument with a woman at the KO.
This is another distortion or fabrication by one of our self appointed
critics.

Here is what happened:....Since the KO has a tendency to get sold out
and reservation is closed prior to the KO, some attendees can not be
accommodated, and must find a camping spot outside the park.
I made the decision so as not to deprive another hiker or attendee of a
campsite, I would not pre-register.
I would simply drive to the KO, get a campsite or, if none were available
park on the street or overflow parking lot and sleep in my truck.
So, since the campsite was sold out, I registered, paid $50 instead of the
suggested $35, got my registration name tag and went about the business
of mingling with my friends.
Towards the evening I asked one of the volunteers at the entry if I could
park in the overflow parking lot.
He said I would need a parking sticker and gave me a parking sticker since
I was registered.
Well, to make a long story short, after a while, as I was changing into my
warmer evening cloth another volunteer, I will not call any names, came over
and in a very hostile and belligerent way insisted that I could not park
in the
overflow lot even though I was registered and paid the registration fee.
So I just slept in  my truck on the street at night while attending the
KO events
during the days.
At no time did I get into an argument with a woman, nor was I asked to
leave
the KO.

As far as being a "lonely, bitter, has been man or troll',....Hey, a
troll to the self
appointed critics, but happy go lucky JMT Reinhold to my friends.

BITTER?......What do I have to be bitter about....I have my health, a
beautiful
wife, a successful business and live in the greatest country in the world.
What reason do I have to be bitter?
Although I wish we had fewer bratty whiners on this list.

HAS BEEN OLD MAN?...Hey, I may be 72 but still firing on all 8 cylinders,
which is more than I can say about some of the younger, bratty whiners on
this list.
I may not be the same hiker I was 10 years ago but I can still fly on
the straights
and the down hills.....it's the uphills that have me sucking wind now days.
The other day Karen (my wife) told me..."Reinhold, you may be getting
old, but
you are still my "HERO".
That really made my day, because that is really all I ever wanted to
be.."Karen's
Hero."

LONELY?....Now that is a good one.
Let me see now,...In the spring, summer and fall I hike, and
windsurf,....the winter
is dedicated to skiing and throughout the year I bike, play tennis,
travel and take
care of business.
Did you say lonely?......Man, I don't have time to be lonely.

Chow now,......I would like to chat some more but I have to get ready to
go on a
45 mile bike ride to stay in shape for two  biking tours in Europe this
summer...a
12 day tour in Holland and a 10 day tour in France.

Well, got to go now.....hope to see you all on the trail someday.

JMT Reinhold
Your lonely trail companion