[pct-l] Part of section C

William A. Chavez wachavez64 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 10:46:37 CDT 2013

I recently hiked from Van Dusen Road to Silverwood Lake.  There is a water cache at Van Dusen Road(Nature's Inn) mi 274? with about 8 gallons of water.  Water was fairly plentiful a long the way, Deep Creek.  There was little water at Little Bear Springs trail camp, almost after the last fire ring.  Water at mi 291 at the road crossing.  It was reported to me by some Boy Scouts that there was water at Bench Camp mi 294 (I did not see it).  Water at mi 298.  There was water at mi 307.  There are a few "make shift" trails down to the creek at various points along the way.  No one, rangers, checked to see if anyone was camping at the hot springs.  That might change now that the "herd" will be moving through?

It was hot as I was coming down the trail.  I noticed that there were several that had heat/water issues in or near the KO.  I am susceptible to these problems, I thought I was immune, and I have tried to curtail them.  I think that one of my problems was not being hydrated before I started my hikes.  It is going to get hot again especially near the end of this week.

A side note:  I made arrangements for my wife to pick me up at highway 173, near Shepard's cache.  She got a little lost and was delayed about 10 minutes.  Another hiker, awesome hiker, needed a ride to Cajon Pass so we took him along with us.  There was a devastating car accident just in front of us. 1 killed, two airlifted out, 2 by ambulance.  Sheesh

Bill