[pct-l] What the PCT is really like?

Seth Jacobs jacobs.sethf at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 22:22:47 CDT 2013

Hi Josh,

You forgot to mention being stalked by a mountain lion, eaten by a bear,
bit by a rattlesnake, falling off a mountain, being struck by lightning,
and dying of thirst (or drowning in a river)...

Unless you're trying to talk yourself OUT of hiking the PCT I think you're
approaching the issue the wrong way.  What you want to learn is how to
AVOID those things.  And the best way to learn how to avoid those things is
via a series of short practice hikes.  Most people CAN'T learn all they
need to know about hiking just from books and videos.  You need to read the
books AND go hiking.  Heck, take the book with you hiking.  And if you have
to choose between one or the other, choose hiking.  Plus, I'd recommend
joining a hiking club in your area.  My intuition is telling me that you
have very little if any hiking experience (and I'm curious as to whether
I'm right or not about that).  By short I mean a series of two to three day
weekend hikes some of which should be done solo.

Cheers,

Seth