[pct-l] What the PCT is really like?

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 11:42:19 CDT 2013

OK, maybe I'm different or something, but I never disliked or hated any part of the experience except when I was literally forced to get off the trail. That part I hated, to the extent that the 'listen to your body' advice i received was defenestrated right from the start. If I could keep going, I would keep going; not from any goal oriented obsessive compulsive BS, but because I loved everything about the trail experience.

For awhile I hiked with a guy that came up short when I was rhapsodizing about the sweet smell of new fallen rain; according to him I saw the positive in everything. To me, he saw negatives. I'd just as soon hike by myself. The lesson there is that the trail is about the people that are hiking it as it is about the terrain which it traverses. It is that part of trail over which you have the most control. Find people that match your mind set. Some want to race through the experience, some want to party, some want introspection...you get the idea.

To those of us of a certain age it reflects the lost freedoms of youth. One where you weren't expected home until the street lights came on and here they never did. Where the natural worlds seamless change substituted for the artificial dampness of contemporary society and its architecture. We are allowed an opportunity to unleash the emotional evolutionary makeup that governs us all through a gradual process of self discovery.

Go ahead and borrow ideas from others as to gear and preparation. Implement what you consider useful. The real advantage of such research is becoming aware of the actual options available to you when you encounter shortcomings in the field.

Look within yourself and you'll find the answers which you seek.

Sent from my iPad