[pct-l] Williamson attempting to regain unsupported PCT speed record NOW!

shon mcganty smcganty at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 20 23:52:57 CDT 2013

I think if you are going to try to beat a specified time, then it is important to note details like taking alternate routes or a support team.  If someone takes a different route and the total miles are different by a few, then one could add or subtract a few hours based on average hike miles (thing about the new PCT around Suiattle River adding 5 miles, or the new furture PCT that avoids the LA aquaduct, future hikers could maybe subtract hours off their actual hike to compare to the records of Scott, Anish and Garrett).

But, if you used a support crew, then that makes it a whole different category, in my mind anyways.  With a support crew you could be carried much much less, if that support crew is meeting the hiker at every or nearly every main road crossing.

But if  a speed record is running the trail (ie David Horton or Butterfly) then that's a different category also, and shouldn't be mentioned with hiker's speed records.

I think this is a matter of fairness.  Like indoor vs outdoor track records are not grouped together, they are seperated because they are different in regards to the difficulty or ease of one track surface from the other.

If I would be going after the speed record, I'd be trying to beat Anish, not Josh Garrett's record, because a support team is something that's out of my reach (unless someone wanted to sponser me too?)

Shon