[pct-l] WIlliamson Record Attempt

shon mcganty smcganty at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 26 14:52:38 CDT 2013

Yes, I 100% agree that a PCT record must be on THE TRAIL with no road walks.  If a fire blocks the trail, it also blocks the speed record attemp.  No questions.

I do see a potential danger for anyone who is so comitted to breaking the record and have already logged mega miles, that when faced with a fire close they might continue anyway.  As mountain climbers have said, the trail will always be there another year.

In response to the comment "I doubt there has ever been a year when there wasn't some road walk due to a trail closure. That would mean hardly anyone has done a thru hike" I wanted to say I've done the PCT twice and avioded road walks due to forest fires, which I'm so thankful for the good luck.