[pct-l] Gatewood Cape

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Dec 1 13:18:51 CST 2013

The Gatewood Cape is a very good shaped tarp style shelter. It is my "go to"
shelter for solo 3 season treks on the CT, PCT, and CDT. Yes, I need to
carry a ground cover of some sort, but I would do that anyway as I prefer to
cowboy camp whenever possible - yet another reason to carry a very light
weight shelter. It has stood up to some pretty fierce rains and winds
without a whimper. All of the covered area beneath it is useable. While the
angle of the walls should shed some snow, I would never consider this a 4
season shelter. On the down side, being a shaped tarp, there is only one way
to pitch it.

I bought mine with the original 7 ounce Serenity Net Tent. Truthfully, I
used the combination only one night on the JMT, and have since left the net
tent behind on every subsequent trip. For the rare buggy night, I depend on
my head net and DEET. Frankly, the netting restricts my use of the covered
space and my pack always winds up leaning against it, which is a good way to
damage the netting.

I've never had condensation under my GC. There is just too much air flow for
that. I suppose if I camped in a wet meadow and nailed it to the ground, all
bets would be off, but why would I be so foolish? I routinely put my Tilley
hat on top of my trekking pole  so the brim holds the hood fully open. This
gives me a HUGE top vent while also keeping even a driving rain out. If the
wind shifts to come straight at the open hood, I have to remove the hat and
cinch the hood closed. Mea culpa.

I'm 5 foot 9 inches tall and the length works for me when lying on a 1.5
inch thick Thermarest pad. If you are 6 feet or more, it's going to be a
tight fit. Fortunately, I can pitch it as high as my trekking pole can
extend, but I need longer lines on the GC to do this. Since I don't use it
as a poncho, this is not an issue for me.

There has long been talk of making the GC in Cuben, which would save 3
ounces and probably double the cost, but I can't justify the cost for a 3
ounce savings when I already have the silnylon version. Now if mine were
damaged and I were looking for a replacement and the Cuben version were
available ............

I don't care for it as a poncho because I don't like the way ponchos flap
about in the wind, making it difficult to see the area around my feet. Also,
if I have to leave my shelter during the rain, I would have to depend on my
wind shirt for protection - not a good bet. For intense or prolonged rain, I
much prefer a full-on hooded rain jacket.