[pct-l] Chia seeds

GottaWalk gottawalk at pacbell.net
Mon Dec 2 22:14:06 CST 2013

I first read about chia seeds in "Born to Run". The Tarahumara runners in Copper Canyon Mexico mixed chia seeds, water and lime juice for a drink on their ultra long runs.

On thru hikes when the temperature of the air and my drinking water exceed my body temp I cannot slake my thirst regardless of the amount of water I drink. This last summer I added about a teaspoon each of chia seeds and lemon juice to my 18 ounce water bottle. The texture of the  mixture was sort of like bubble tea in that the seeds had a slippery texture but there weren't enough to thicken the water. What a refreshing drink even when it was hotter than body temp!

I want to use this mixture on the PCT next summer. The easiest lemon addition that I have tried is to zest the peel of a lemon, dry it and carry the crumbs in with the chia seeds and add both at the same time to my water.