[pct-l] Drones on the trail

Glen Winters glenbwint at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 6 16:07:45 CST 2013

It's not an original idea I've flown RC for years. Last year it was almost feasible to resupply using homemade drones, they still had issues with losing planes regularly, the software is freeware community supported and designed. The hardware is now available with a real time operating system with enough power to actually do more then just fly the plane, for instance you could add maybe a laser range finder, or if you were handy maybe a radio beacon locator so your hikers could call the drone in so to speak. This year the hardware and software is probably capable of DIY drone resupply except for this pesky thing called the law. One you can't use drones commercially so you can not charge for the service, although a plane capable of resupply of maybe 6 lbs max with a range of 20  miles or so would cost upwards of $1,500, plus 3,000 to 6,000 in practice and perfecting your skills and getting the software and hardware working correctly, pretty cheap if you
 ask me. The copters really don't have enough range. they have maybe 8 too 12 minutes battery capability. Two, all drones are still classified as RC hobbies/toys unless you are an approved federal agency and you must remain in sight of said aircraft., Three the clincher requires no more then 400 ft above ground so forget getting around line of sight with a  telescope. In theory they may allow commercial use in 2014 but most likely the rules for licensing won't be in place until at least 2015 and require some sort of license like a drone pilots license. Then I'm wondering about liability insurance, would that possibly bankrupt the idea?

I really wanted to do this just for aerial photography for farmers and business owners etc. It would be line of sight but still not legal. The idea of aerial resupply still intrigues me, not to mention search and rescue, emergency water drop, emergency pizza. emergency pink bunny slippers, etc.

Imagine what could have been possible up in Washington with lost hikers if we could have sent out some drones on a search grid and then you could follow on the internet in real time or with a download after recovery and help comb thru the videos for signs of lost hiker/s. Search and rescue seems to me ideal not only can you have ground crews out searching but aerial vehicles doing some of the more dangerous locations possibly finding missing people faster and safer. Of course it always keeps getting more expensive because then you might want FLIR instead of a video camera, and they are not cheap.

Sincerely you hopeful drone pilot,
Argentina