[pct-l] Gossamer Q-twin Tarp

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Mon Dec 16 07:13:53 CST 2013

Yeah, I pretty much agree. Buying large quantities from Cubic Tech will drop the price quite a bit. Around $15-18/yd I would anticipate. But a roll of material from them is a LOT of cash outlay meaning a much delayed return on their investment. Retail is around $25/yd but be careful. Some sail makers actually sell "sail makers yards", which are smaller. To buy this stuff retail would easily cost the 200 you mention (not counting the line locks, thread and glue/tape) for non-carbon reinforced versions.

Interesting that GG did not go for the lightest possible weight. Over the past 5 years they have been trading weight for durability. While cuben has abrasion issues, and like most plastics it will go bad over the course of about ten-twenty years, eventually stiffening. GG once again chose the more durable/reliable over the lightest.

Before BPL quit marketing, they also offered a cuben tarp. It was smaller and lighter, but, interesting to note, they released it in a glued only configuration. There was some trouble with this, since adhesives can *creep* under stress. It is interesting to note that GG followed the "adhesive only" approach with their tarp. We were discussing patch/seam reinforcements with a gentleman from North Sails at BPL and he indicated that sewing *AND* gluing made the strongest seams with cuben. I assume because their properties offset the others weakness. With GG's new emphasis on durability, I am a bit surprised they did not also sew it.

With the taper on the tarp, I am surprised they did not add a couple beaks on the front. Since, I only use one trekking pole, I often resort to a stick to hold up the rear. The front would have required similar reinforcement for the pole. But the beak would have cut the opening size down to about 36" and added another foot of clearance for driving rains. But would have rendered the tarp into a single configuration, which is what the cat cut does, anyway.
	My thoughts only . . .
		jdm