[pct-l] Start thru in March. -- Fuller Ridge

chiefcowboy at verizon.net chiefcowboy at verizon.net
Mon Dec 23 15:51:41 CST 2013

Ned,

Your comments are spot on.  My first thru hike saw me sliding about 75 feet
down Fuller Ridge stopping only when I was able to snag a small tree.  On my
2012 thru hike I  had another slip just before Etna.  The snow was only
about five feet wide and I made sure to place my step in a footprint made by
an earlier hiker, thinking the snow would be solid.  Wrong, it caved in and
I went about 60 feet into some rocks.  I was lucky.  Both times I was
sliding on my back and you can't believe how quickly it happens and how fast
you can travel.  It is NOT fun.

Also, beginning near Mount Thielsen in 2012 we encountered deep, icy and
treacherous snow for almost a week.  It is not something I want to repeat.

I am now in the process of reading "Snow Travel" by Mike Zawaski and am
viewing several videos demonstrating proper technique for using an ice axe.
After I feel I know the technique I am going to our local mountains and
practice until I am confident that my muscle memory will serve to help me
react properly.

My preference would  be to attend your snow skills course but because of a
work commitment, I am unable to get away.

Keep up the good work and keep hammering your message home

Burning Daylight