[pct-l] Question about Halfdmile App

Dan Welch welchenergy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 06:48:28 CST 2013

Inspector Gadget,

Excellent information.  Thank you!  I especially appreciated the links you
sent for more background info.

BTW - I think I may have met you in 2012 while I was doing a SOBO of the
JMT.  Were you doing a PCT NOBO that year?  I'm sure you don't remember me,
but you were very memorable - at least partly because of your hiking
wardrobe.  I hope you had a successful finish to your trip.

Thanks again!
Timberline

<<  Navigating on your smartphone (this applies to ALL smartphones: iPhones,
Androids, Windows Phones, etc) can work with or without a cell signal, but
will be much more accurate and quicker if it has a cell signal.  The cell
signal provides Assisted GPS data, which allows the GPS system to more
quickly lock on to the satellites.  This aGPS data will continue to assist
your GPS for a number of days afterwards, even if you are in airplane mode
and are receiving no data from the cell signal.  You should use your
smartphone's navigation app in town at least once a week, while you have
cell or WiFi data access, to allow it to update this aGPS data cache and
provide better GPS functionality when you get back into the boonies, where
you have no data access.  This aGPS cache lasts somewhere between 5-7 days
on most phones, I believe (would love to have some confirmation of this).

For more information, read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_enhancement

And, more specifically, this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS  >>