[pct-l] When will I need a Bear canister

John Herrin johndavidherrin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 25 21:54:21 CST 2013

My wife and I are heading SOBO on the PCT next summer. We will be section
hiking from around Ashland OR down through the Sierras to Kennedy Meadows
(approx 1025 mi). At what point will we be required to carry a bear
canister. A couple of summers ago we backpacked the JMT and carried one,
actually two, pretty much the entire way.

So I am thinking once we get to Yosemite for sure but I am needing to
figure out when and where exactly so I can order a rental Bearikade
(expedition).

Thanks and we love reading this forum. It has convinced us to switch over
to lightweight backpacking and this trip will be our first. Goodbye 45 to
50 lbs packs and hello happy hiking.

John Herrin