[pct-l] Winter Hiking the Mojave?

gary_schenk at verizon.net gary_schenk at verizon.net
Tue Dec 31 17:51:54 CST 2013

 Three of us did that bit last February, on President's Weekend. We enjoyed it very much. The aqueduct faucet at Cottonwood Bridge was turned off, but we found water at Tyler Horse Canyon. Very nice campsite there, as well. We could have gotten water from the open aqueduct earlier in the hike, too.

Unless there's been some sort of major crazy snow storm, all of Section E is doable in winter. We've done all of it over the last couple of years in March and February as a series of short backpacks and dayhikes.

No heat, and more water available. It's a good time to do it. Even hiking through the windmills is kinda cool. The wild horses are a treat as well.

Gary