[pct-l] Foot Expansion

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Feb 1 19:29:41 CST 2013

Good evening, Rhiannon,

The foot-size-increase phenomenon just creeps up on you.  It’s not like you
wake up one morning and shout, “GREAT GOSH-ALMIGHTY! My shoes don’t fit
anymore!”  If you have reasonably loose shoes at the start you might notice
some change by Idyllwild or Big Bear; but then you can have a larger size
sent to Agua Dulce, Mojave/Tehachapi, or even Kennedy Meadows, which is
about a mile-limit for sneakers anyway.  A hiker is seldom more than a week
or so away from a place where larger shoes can be received.

After hundreds of miles my feet become noticeably thicker, and I’m not sure
why.  I don’t believe it’s just water retention or something serious like
edema.  Feet do not have a significant muscle structure that really
bulks-up during exercise. I do know that with extra thickness, and some
possible noticeable widening, the circumference of my feet around the
middle or ball is greater than when I’m not hiking.  They just look
stronger after I've hiked a while.  A shoe must accommodate this greater
circumference mostly with additional width.

One possibility is to start with larger shoes that have a generous width,
but install an extra insole -- like the standard, green Spenco – which can
then be removed later.  Additionally, one can start with heavy socks, or
two pair of socks, and reduce later to one thinner pair like many hikers
end-up anyway.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/