[pct-l] Trail runners vs hiking boots

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Sat Feb 2 09:43:07 CST 2013

On 2/1/2013 7:56 PM, Nikki Eddy wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback everybody. I appreciate it...I was all set to
> go with light/roomy/comfy as I've seen recommended through what I've
> read and researched, but then I read that the average PCT hiker
> carries only 20lbs?!

The average varies widely between hikers, and even from one hour to the
next. In 2008 the Manns told me that the average base weight was 18
pounds. I was closer to 16 pounds. Many get down to 10 pounds or less.
Add food and water to an 18 pound base weight, and you can easily get
into the 30 - 35 pound range.

I left Campo with 35 pounds on my back, and arrived at Lake Morena with
21 pounds. The difference was food and water. It will vary that much.

If your legs and ankles are strong, you will have no problem carrying 35
pounds with trail runners.