[pct-l] Foot Expansion

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 01:58:01 CST 2013

Hi Yoshihiro,
The first quote is mine.  My feet have grown much wider, as have a number
of other long distance hikers I know.  I call this spread, but I don't know
how this happens over time, but it does.

The second quote in your second paragraph is not mine, and I'm not quite
sure what it means out of context.  One thing I have never said is that the
growth of one's foot makes a person flat footed.  I believe it is just the
opposite.  Proper use of the foot strengthens the arch and for me makes it
more pronounced, more arch like.  In architecture an arch is built to
support weight.  The arches in our feet do the same, but are dynamic and
act as a spring, providing cushion for the constant pounding of walking and
running.

I believe that training without arch supports over the past several years
and hiking the CDT this year with no arch supports, heal pads or insoles
helped strengthen my arch and the rest of each foot.  I think you may have
mistaken the second quote, as I completely agree with you that a high arch
is desirable and very important for long distance walking.

Shroomer

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Yoshihiro Murakami <completewalker at gmail.com