[pct-l] Foot Expansion

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Feb 4 09:32:23 CST 2013

I was a seasoned, avid hiker before my PCT hike. I'd done lots of
local backpacking, hundreds of miles a year of day hiking, trekked in
Nepal, a little Sierra peak bagging. But the blisters I got in the So
Cal section of the PCT were a surprise to me. I had them starting
around that hang-gliding spot in the Lagunas and they did not let up
until I got into the Sierras in the snow. Fortunately I no longer get
blisters when I go on section hikes.

The trail is a repetitive motion injury machine, especially in So Cal
where the grade is so gentle. 5 miles with the trail leaning in one
direction. Then 5 miles leaning the other way. Whatever hurts you
gets beaten into you over and over again. A little blister becomes a
chain reaction with your knees and hips all the way up the chain.
You'll see all these injured people around Agua Dulce to Tehachapi
nursing their repetitive motion injuries.

And no way about it: hiking 20 or more miles a day simply hurts. I
ended every single day in pain but started every single morning
somehow miraculously ready to go again.

It seems so romantic to hike the PCT but the reality is there is a
lot of pain and a significant amount of boredom. Your life becomes
your feet and your stomach. You walk, eat and sleep and that is all
you have time for. It's an awesome experience nonetheless and is full
of amazing things. It's also not nearly as hard to plan for as you
think, but nobody realizes this until they are out there.