[pct-l] Hitching I-80 into Reno?

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 18:06:04 CST 2013

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Pilar Diaz <s.pilar.diaz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Wonderous People!
>
> Anyway, this is my plan, and I'm looking for some advice.
>
> My plan is to hike from Kennedy Meadows north until I-80, and then hitch a ride into Reno. From there I would like to take a train up to Portland,...

If you go to Reno to hop on the train, I think you end up on a bus to
Sacramento, CA. Might be better to go west and get the train in
Sacramento. Saves a little money if you can get to Sacramento for free
or near free.

>.. and starting at the Columbia River hike north all of Washington State.
>

> However, has anyone ever hiked along I-80. Do you think this is safe for a solo young woman hiker?

Hiked, or hitched? Hiking/walking on I-80 is a no-no. You will (at
least) be told to get off the freeway, maybe removed, by Officer
Friendly of the CHP. If you insist on hiking to Sacramento on the
roadside, US 50 is a better bet until it also becomes freeway.

If you meant hitch hiking, then, hey, it's California. You roll your
dice and take your chances. To avoid the hitch hiking, maybe
investigate a local to regional or Greyhound bus option to where you
decide to board the train/bus/etc.Northbound? Maybe walk into South
Lake Tahoe or Truckee and get on a bus from there to Reno, Carson
City, or Sacramento?

Dan Jacobs
Washougal
--