[pct-l] "Wild"

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 18:55:04 CST 2013

I read "Wild". When I was done, I thought to myself "that is not how
to do that (preparing and hiking the trail)".

Then I thought "the experience is different for everyone, each has
their own reasons for doing this kind of thing."

Another email list and some folks I know are involved in long distance
endurance motorcycle riding. Many folks look at them as though they
are crazy, dangerous, trust fundees, etc., but they are mostly just
enjoying it for their own reasons. The same mental gamesmanship
applies here as in long distance hiking. Logistics/supply, equipment
(or lack thereof), rest, daily mileage, maintenance, road conditions,
routing, etc., etc. Many parallels.

Dan Jacobs
Washougal
--