[pct-l] How to not be an a-hole on the PCT.

Paul Mitchell paul at bluebrain.ca
Wed Feb 6 21:12:17 CST 2013

So, I was thinking that with ever increasing numbers hitting the trail at
Campo that it might be a good idea for us to assemble something of a little
guide pamphlet on how to not be an ass on the PCT.

Examples of points might include:

* Don't wash your feet and socks in the fire-water tanks we use as water
sources. (Yes, someone has seen another PCT hiker do that)

* Remember that in towns you're an ambassador for the entire PCT community,
being rude to a hotel owner gives us all a bad name.

* Don't scratch big messages for hiker-friends in the sand, it's nice for
the intended recipient but a wilderness-disrupting eye-sore for many others
(ahem, personally guilty of this one).  Likewise, don't hike with your
trekking poles hanging beside you scratching long lines on either side of
the sandy trail.

I haven't been on the trail in a few years and I know there were some
examples of things I was baffled to see other hikers doing that I now can't
quite recall, but if everyone here chips in on their points, perhaps we can
put a definitive list together.

Perhaps it can be a little more positively framed than my examples too, a
bit more humorous & focused on positive reinforcement.  Once it's assembled
we could have it printed and available at kick-off.

Thoughts?

- Potential178