[pct-l] To bring or not to bring

Mike Jurasius syntectonics at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 07:59:14 CST 2013

The bear can topic is an amusing topic that comes up again and again on this and other forums. Anyone even considering not bringing one in areas where they are required by law, are asking for trouble, inevitably, by the bear or a ranger. I've been witness to a dozen hikers along just the JMT who were victimized by a bear by either sleeping with their food or hanging it. The bears have gotten much more aggressive over the decades, as have other food-eating varmints!   The good news, is that if you're concerned about shaving off the awkward weight of the bear can, you'll lose the weight of all your food and physical weight for starving several days as you hike out foodless. People that play the game of statistics are relying on luck only...and luck as we know eventually runs out.  It's also important to note that most bears are illiterate and do not know where park boundaries start and stop. You may be camping legally without your can outside the park boundary, but Yogi Bear doesn't care...your food all tastes the same!  Best advice is hyoh and hayor (hike at your own risk)!

Mike