[pct-l] How to not be an a-hole on the PCT.

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Thu Feb 7 10:56:15 CST 2013

On 2/6/2013 11:52 PM, Brian Lewis wrote:
> I found these kind of fun, some amusing messages in there.   It made
> me realize how similar we are to our hunter-gatherer ancestors who I
> imagine drew images and such for fellow travelers along the trail. It
> added for me to a sort of sense of community along the way.

On my short-lived thru hike attempt, all of the notes I found along the
trail conveyed information that was readily available to any one who was
carrying maps, or was able to read the signs along the trail. I left one
note by the side of the trail that conveyed information that was readily
available to anyone who was carrying the water report. (I wasn't, and
wound up backtracking for water.) Perhaps things were different farther
along the trail.

I had mixed feelings about the notes. On the one hand, I felt there was
far more hand holding than was necessary. On the other hand, it did add
to the sense of community to know that someone ahead of me was putting
in a little effort to make things as easy as possible for those of us
coming up behind them.