[pct-l] Food in tents

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Thu Feb 7 11:19:20 CST 2013

There are lots of variables to take into account.  Many have been
mentioned.  Others include being aware of where you sleep.

If you stealth camp - meaning you don't camp where someone camps every
night and do nothing but sleep and get up early and go - you are less
likely to be bugged by animals.

If you don't eat where you camp, you are less likely to be bugged by
animals.

If you carry the bear cannister in bear required areas, you are less
likely to be bugged by bears.

New hikers will make choices based on experience, which comes from
spending week after week on the trail.  I do summer hikes with a friend
who's been backpacking for 20 years and he always hangs his food.  I've
got over 400 nights of camping while backpacking and sleep with my food
outside of national parks/bear protected areas.

I was lucky enough to see eight bears in WAshington in June 2005 on a
SOBO.  All of them ran when they noticed me - sprinted if a bear can
sprint.

Jeff
Rapid City, SD