[pct-l] How to not be an a-hole on the PCT.

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Thu Feb 7 13:46:07 CST 2013

At the risk of sounding like your prim, proper, fussy Aunt Edna....

Having hosted and fed dinner and breakfast to  more than  50 Florida Trail long-distance hikers (several for multiple nights), I'd like to add a few points from the Trail Angel's perspective:

1.  Do not abuse your host's generosity by getting into the liquor cabinet after said host has gone to bed.

2.  If you host offers alcohol or if you bring your own, please don't get sloppy drunk.

3.  If you really need to wash your sleeping bag in the bathtub by pouring in detergent and walking around on your bag, please ask your host's permission first.  That bag zipper isn't kind to the bathtub finish.  And please clean the tub afterward.

4.  Do not be scornful of your host's home or lifestyle.  Don't be scornful of the fact that this person is working, not thru-hiking.  That work is supporting the roof over your head, the washer and dryer you're using ,the vehicle and gas that picked you up, and the meals the host is giving you at no cost to you.  (I don't have a tip jar or ask for any recompense, and generally refuse if it's offered.)

5.  Please take a shower and put on clean clothes before collapsing on the upholstered furniture or clean bedspread.  I  have some spare shorts and t-shirts if your clothes are all in the washer.

6.  Ask your host where best to explode your pack.  (I prefer the porch--lots of room and easily cleaned surfaces.)

7.  Ask if you can wash the dishes or take out the trash or do some other little chore as a thank you.
Since I'm still working full time, the most cherished hikers were the ones who did the dishes after dinner or swept the porch after a pack explosion and cleaned the shower after they used it.

8.  Please don't bring illegal drugs into my house.

And, yes, I've experienced most all of the above.  The fun definitely outweighs the ocassional frustration.   On the plus side, we've also made friends all over the U.S. and in Europe.  Jon has received some return trail magic from some of those we've helped along their way.

We're heard wonderful stories and shared a lot of laughs with some terrific folks. We even got to stay in one thru-hiker's government-furnished trailer at the north rim of the Grand Caynon while he slept in his tent.  (Long story here about a lot of shuttles for this hiker, who's now a dear friend.)

Joan