[pct-l] Bear 'Can Usage

Bill Thompson yoshiker at roadrunner.com
Thu Feb 7 15:10:08 CST 2013

There are three reasons that we are burdened by bear cans,
1) People were carless about food storage and
2) Most important, were never advised to defend their food.
3) OK, they work. As Shroomer said, most backcountry bears are now foraging
naturally and you will be lucky to see one.
Rangers used to give demonstrations about how to properly hang food, then
told us to hang it a long ways from camp. Nothing about chasing bears out of
your camp or placing food close by so that you could protect it. Bears are
wonderful wild creatures but they need to adversly conditioned to stay away
from humans and our food so that they will stay wild. If you see a bear and
it's not running away from you, yell, wave your arms, and throw some rocks
near it. Use a bear can where it's required and put it close to you, you
don't want some bear rolling your can around where you can't find it. If you
hang your food hang it close and put something  that will rattle on your
bear line to wake you up if a bear is in your tree. Have some rocks, a
noisemaker, and a flashlight handy to discourage any nocturnal visitors
whether you hang, sleep with, or use the can. In 40 years in the Sierra I've
probably had over 100 bear encounters and never lost an ounce of food (or
any blood) by acting agressively toward  bears.

Baggins