[pct-l] Food in tents

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Fri Feb 8 13:09:16 CST 2013

Chris said:

"Okay on a serious note for once on my part...all jokes aside...
 I'm seriously scared to death of the dark and the fact that there are
animals that could rock my world...I hear a lot about protecting the
bears but anyone have a fool proof way of not having bear
encounters...so i got get messed with...i havent really been camping
so where do i hide...how much smell is too much...i heard some people
bring firecrackers? Really??
 .I believe I have a decent chance on completing the trail but my
night fears go pretty deep lol :)
 Just being honest...
 And as for parts of the trail...are there any real scary sections and
somewhere/one has/have good pictures...like with narrow walk ways and
steep drops .for example the narrows in Colorado??..I need to start
visualizing these things...or just start unpacking my pack and go look
for a job
 Thanks!!"

Chris:

Sorry about your fears--the best thing is to just get out there and
see. I only learned about the sounds animals make by actually
backpacking. When I was just starting out at age 19, I was freaked
out. By the time I was in my 20's, that had gone.

You need to go with a partner--that would significantly help your
fears. The best would be someone with more experience. If you hike on
the PCT there will be a lot of people around you can hook up with and
talk to.

You sound like you may have anxiety over the mountain passes. Do one
before you have to hike on the PCT and see how you feel. Take Mountain
Ned's snow skills training (www.mountaineducation.org). One thing I
learned is that a pass often looks a lot steeper from far away than up
close--where you just concentrate on one footstep at a time.

Potential places you might want to look at are in the Goat Rocks
Wilderness in Washington state on the knife edge trail and above
Snoqualmie on the Catwalk--I have no fear of heights so they didn't
bother me, but I have heard that these have bothered some people.

--Fireweed

[...]

 Sent from my iPhone

 On Feb 7, 2013, at 12:48 PM, "Mary Kwart"  wrote:

 > This is a controversial topic so what I tell the people in a
 > backpacking strategies for success class is:
 >
 > 1. Always carry food in a bear canister in the places it is
 > required--there is a good reason. I have worked for the Park
Service