[pct-l] Yosemite

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 18:41:35 CST 2013

Hey Dan,

It's a stunning route.  You can't go wrong, and any of the side trails you
want to try will reward you with unparalleled beauty.   If you follow the
JMT all the way, make sure to head west at Shadow Lake and camp at Lake
Ediza, directly beneath the Minarets.  It is one of the most beautiful
spots in the High Sierra, a quintessential, Alpine Lakes experience.  Take
a zero, and day hike up to Cecil and Iceberg Lakes.  The first time I saw
Iceberg Lake as a kid in the early 60's, I looked across the lake at clouds
scudding right by at eye level and then up at the towering Minarets, which
rise directly out of this lake, and thought the only thing missing was Zeus
or Thor, standing on a peak and hurling thunderbolts.  Not to be missed.

As for all you thru hikers out there, here is the plug to leave the PCT at
Agnew Meadows and hike the JMT until the trails rejoin at Thousand Island
lake.  The PCT takes what was known as the High Trail across the canyon
from the Minarets, and while it is stunning and a bit shorter, the JMT
takes you to all the incredible lakes that foot the Minarets and Mts.
Ritter and Banner.  Garnet, Ruby, Shadow, and Thousand Island Lakes are all
there for the camping, and it is an incredible stretch of trail.  This is
an area that rivals any in the world for beauty and is worth slowing down
just a touch to really enjoy.  And if you take the JMT, make sure you spent
one night at Lake Ediza.

If you take a zero at Ediza, a large rocky formation across the lake has
spectacular tent sites on the rock itself, where you're above the
mosquitoes at lake level and out of the forest.  Just explore and don't
settle on the first place that makes for an easy pitch as there are some
incredible spots overlooking the whole place.

The last known camp of the famous mountaineer, Walter Starr, was just below
Lake Ediza on Shadow Creek.

This was the first High Sierra spot to which I took my daughter years ago,
and the first High Sierra backpack trip I took with my father.   It is a
special place, but then, just about any little lake in the High Country can
be just as special.

Have a wonderful hike.  You will never forget it.

Shroomer