[pct-l] Forest Service...ban . ..mountain bikes on PCT

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Sun Feb 10 00:18:29 CST 2013

Heather Darnell wrote:

>Here is where the quoting stops. I am re-writing the letter found there, to better suit the purposes of hikers

>"I am a hiker who would like to walk at least some part of the Pacific Crest Trail, which runs for over 2,600 miles from Canada to Mexico >along the Cascades and the Sierra Nevada. In 1988 the Forest Service closed the PCT to bicycles to help preserve the wilderness and >keep hikers safe I SUPPORT that closure order.

Heather - great job on your suggested letter. However, it is important that we all realize that the PCT was always a hiking and equestrian trail. When mountain bikers started to use it, the FS worked to stop them. The document that was issued in 1988 was to formalize the policy that was already in effect, that is, mountain bikes were not allowed on the PCT. The MBers like to say that the PCT was closed to them in 1988, so that they can say that they were allowed to use it prior to that and they are just trying to regain rights that they once had, which is NOT true. So it best for us not to mention any closure in 1988. The PC was always off limits to mountain bikes.

TrailHacker
--
"When my feet hurt, I can't think straight"
Abraham Lincoln