[pct-l] Yoshihiro's Dinners

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 02:06:08 CST 2013

I dropped Yoshihiro off in Tuolumne Meadows for that hike, where we met a
bunch of thru hikers resupplying outside the store with their little 10 and
15 lb base weight packs.  Yoshihiro traded his heavy trucker pack for a
thru hiker's pack and the poor guy nearly collapsed under the weight.  To
be able to carry this weight he has created his own incredibly comfortable
and stiff belly band backed with contoured aluminum plate.  It is an
amazing piece of work, and carries his jumbo load comfortably.  But I
thought I would die when I put the full load on and it wasn't as heavy as
it would be when his wife met him a week or so later.  Give me my little UL
set up anytime, but Yoshihiro's one hell of a mule on trail!

As for the dried foods he makes his soup with, I've found some of the
wonderful greens he describes in local Korean markets.  Japan Town in San
Francisco also has some Japanese markets that have good dried greens.
 They're a cut above what we can get in our survivalist dried food
suppliers in the U.S.  In Japan, China and Korea, dried veggies are part of
the regional cuisines and because of this they're better than what we get
for "camping", or surviving a holocaust.  Yoshihiro's dinner pix are really
something.  I always end up hungry after a viewing.  Check out the crazy
pizzas he makes at home.

Shroomer