[pct-l] Forest Service rejects efforts to rescind or restrict ban on mountain bikes on PCT!

Zorglub azorglub at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 9 14:39:34 CST 2013

The hand wringing from the historical users of the PCT is quite funny.  The USFS has caved in by refusing to apply its own laws.  You have to remember that the closure is temporary and should be submitted to a full review.  The USFS is so afraid of stirring the hornet nest that it basically punted on the issue.

I would expect to see a lot more cyclists this summer on the PCT now that we all know the questionable legality of the closure order.  The irony of it all is that even the signers of the closure order are in support of allowing bikes on the PCT.  I don't expect many on this list to agree, since most have expressed that they are not willing to share the PCT.  What a shame.

The bigger question is whether the USFS will enforce the ban now that cyclists know that they can challenge any citation in court.