[pct-l] Forest Service rejects efforts to rescind or restrict ban on mountain bikes on PCT!

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Sun Feb 10 09:46:16 CST 2013

Zorglub wrote

>I would expect to see a lot more cyclists this summer on the PCT now that we all know the questionable legality of the closure order.
>A bunch of annoying stuff
>The bigger question is whether the USFS will enforce the ban now that cyclists know that they can challenge any citation in court.

For those of you who were lucky enough to miss the Mountain Biker Blowout on the list last year you may not know that Zorglub is a mountain biker who wants to ride on parts of the PCT. He is not, never was and never will be a PCT hiker. Brink lets him be the one MBer to post here if he behaves himself. I would say advocating illegal riding of the PCT is pushing it maybe a little too far.

Yes, the MBers can fight any citation in court, just as you can fight that speeding ticket. Good luck with that. The Forest Service will enforce the law if they get enough information from people reporting and documenting with pictures of what they see. With the FS budget stretched to the limit just imagine what good work they can do with all those $5,000 fines!

I don't want to clog up the list with these annoyances when it is time to start getting excited about the upcoming hiking season, so this will be my last post on this subject. Enjoy your hike, don't let anyone ruin it for you.

TrailHacker
--
"When my feet hurt, I can't think straight"
Abraham Lincoln