[pct-l] dangers of "cameling up"

Peggy Rice msrice27 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 13:43:35 CST 2013

How quickly we forget!

"People die in marathons from being over hydrated.  No one ever dies
in those events from dehydration.  Overhydration is far more dangerous
than dehydration."

People used to die in marathons and long triathalons of dehydration,
until greater emphasis was put on hydrating during the race.  I had a
woman suffer from dehydration and collapse right in front of me in the
Cascade Runoff, back in the 80s (she survived, but...).

I agree that we've overdone the emphasis on hydration now, and that
balance is the key.

PegLeg