[pct-l] BEARS

dm at quixnet.net dm at quixnet.net
Tue Feb 12 08:13:34 CST 2013

"Out of 133 encounters involving bear spray, only 3 people suffered
injuries, which were all minor. But I found 269 incidences of gun
defenses-with 17 dead people and hundreds of dead bears."

Regarding the above statistics, I bet the guns used were too weak to damage
a bear.  In a case some years ago, an armed hiker was killed by a bear.
When rangers tracked the bear and killed it, they found 6 .38 caliber rounds
in a nice, close pattern in his chest.  Unfortunately, the bear's fat layer
caught the slugs; they never penetrated to an area they could cause real
damage.  For bears I would prefer a heavy rifle, but if a pistol were used I
would want a .45 or a .44 magnum.  Anything smaller would just make the bear
mad.

Although I own a .45 pistol and am a good shot, NO WAY am I going to carry
that heavy sucker plus a spare magazine on ANY long hike!  Bear spray will
be just fine, thank you.

Regarding food containers, am I wrong to assume that those experienced
hikers who sleep with their food use Aloksaks, URsaks, or some other
odor-restricting container?  What size is appropriate for the PCT.  I am a
newbie thru-hiker so all this stuff is new to me.

71 days to the PCT!

Dwane