[pct-l] solar charger or batteries?

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Tue Feb 12 08:51:57 CST 2013

This sort'a depends on how long you will be away from a resupply. Typically, on the PCT, you will find that batteries are readily available, generally on a weekly basis. Hiking through the ADK's, a typical trip will last between one and three weeks. For a weeks outing or less, I don't carry spares at all. For longer trips, where spares will likely be needed, I will carry a spare set. For long expedition type trips, more than two weeks, I would accept the weight of a set of two spare batteries, and be very careful about usage. Longer than that, I think a more permanent charging solution would be in order, a solar charger or the like.
	My thoughts only . . .
		jdm