[pct-l] The dangers of 'Cameling Up'

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 19:03:20 CST 2013

In addition to water, bring nutritious snacks with you that you can eat
when your energy runs low, this is commonly referred to as "bonking".  You
will use up your body's stores of blood glucose and muscle glycogen long
before your muscles fatigue.  Cycling enthusiasts (like me) who will go
about 60-120 miles on a ride all bring snacks along with them in the
pockets of their jerseys for this purpose.  Long distance hiking is the
same.  Any long sustained activity will require replenishment after a
couple of hours or sooner!

Toga