[pct-l] Any comments on the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 1?

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 12:35:27 CST 2013

W.r.t. the recommendation of the Big Agnes Copper Spur tent --- while I have
no experience with this tent, REI suggests that the weight is 48 oz, and
that gets you a side opening and the ability to sit upright comfortably
(over the lighter Fly Creek model).

I suggest that you look at LightHeart Gear solo options.  Any of those are
lighter than the Fly Creek, and the features compare better to the heavier
Copper Spur.  But instead of 48 oz, you're looking at something more like 27
- 28 oz (a bit more to include lightweight stakes of your choice, perhaps 2
oz).
This is essentially a double-walled tent, not terribly difficult to set up,
roomy and very intelligently designed.   Like the Big Agnes, you can use it
as a purely net tent, which is pretty nice sometimes on the PCT.  The awning
options allow something in between --- better ventilation and view while
still protection against rain/dew.   I used a solo 'awning' model on the CDT
in 2011 and it held up well and served me well.
http://www.lightheartgear.com/

On another topic --- bears --- if you haven't already seen it, I recommend
this video of a winter bear encounter at Manning Park:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5VvCT3JJRs

        Brian Lewis / 'Gadget'