[pct-l] Sunscreen on the trail

Ryan Hull rynos1234 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 15:47:46 CST 2013

I usually try to cover up as much skin as possible: long pants, long
sleeves, baseball cap with a bandana draped behind to cover my neck and
ears, and light gloves.  If I didn't use trekking poles I probably wouldn't
have bothered with the gloves, but having my hands exposed to the sun in
front of me all day was turning them into leather, sunscreen or none.

I may give the gel-type sunscreen a shot, but for the most part I've found
light-colored, loose, breathable clothing to be just as comfortable and
less of a nuisance than constantly worrying about sunscreen.  It kept my
skin comparatively clean too.

I did apply sunscreen to my face through the sierras.  Even then I still
peeled a bit by the end of it.